Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Update on Kiwi

     I may or may not have mentioned that Kiwi is currently the subject of one of my latest little tests. I've been trying to keep most of it a surprise. I'll try to keep this all in order.


     The following picture is Kiwi (on the right) next to a brand-new Resinsoul Yu. Both are in white resin, and this was taken in bright lighting. Kiwi is actually significantly yellowed, almost to the point of being green. I have tried several times to remedy this, but nothing has really worked. Peroxide bath, baking soda scrub, Oxy clean, nothing. The only time anything has changed has been when I've sanded some greyish gloss stains (it was very resistent to nail polish remover) and I've never really wanted to sand her for fear of losing little details like her belly button in the process.

                     

     So I'm trying other methods that I haven't seen around yet, hoping that they'll work.

     What I did first was scrub her down with a magic eraser and determine just how much yellowing was actually there. She wasn't really dirty in the first place, so that was her actual resin tone. It was even deep enough that the color was the same on the inside of her body, where it generally wouldn't see any light. That has made me suspect that in this case, the yellowing isn't from direct sunlight, but from heat. The person I bought her from was living in Colorado, but after I looked further into it I found that the original owner lived in California (I just asked her, no creepy stalking or hacking).

     It's not really important where it came from, but I do feel like it's important to let people know that the resin still oxidizes, even out of direct sunlight. So where and how you store your dolls is also important. Though Kiwi has been around since, like, 2008. There's no sure-fire way to stop yellowing (it's just a natural process of the resin) but if you store them properly then it won't be so intense.

     Here's her little head floating around in my *hopefully* magical solution of various things.

                               

     Anyway. Other than my crazy little whitening experiments, I've also shaved down her ears to be regular human ears. Because I hate elf ears. Here are a couple progress shots of that.

                                  

                               


     They obviously need some more work to make them symmetrical. This is actually the second ear reduction I've done on her, too. I'm really just not a fan of elf ears, but I love her little face too much to just hope there is a version of her without them. And Bobobie/Resinsoul elf ears, luckily, are often sculpted in a way that the inner part of the ear is still curved like a human ear so that the conversion looks more natural (probably because they sometimes have sculpts of the same face with human and elf ears).

    There are still a few more things that need to be worked on, but those will be posted later (after I've had time to do more work on her)

~~Aronzo~~

No comments:

Post a Comment