Friday, August 30, 2013

I love Kiwi, but....

     I am never getting a tiny from Bobobie or Resinsoul ever again. Their bodies are just so god-awful that even me, a person who quite enjoys mobility and general ease-of-use mods, just can't handle how much work they need.



     First off, Bobobie and Resinsoul bodies in general have a general problem with sitting up. I saw it in my RS Li, Kiwi, and Colette (an RS Yu I sold a while back). All three of them had to have work done on their hips, just so the pelvic piece wouldn't stop the leg short at an awkward half-squat position. That's something I've seen with every BBB/RS doll I've come in contact with, not just my own. The MSD boy body also has its own issue that when you sit him down, his knees turn inward and look really far-spread.

     Also, their tinies on a single-jointed body. I hate single-jointed bodies with a passion. The arms can't bed all the way, or the knees don't stay in their places (even when strung differently). Or, like with my brother's BBB Apollo, his knees are double-jointed while his arms are stuck living in 90 degree angles. Trying to pose Kiwi is an absolute joke. Her arms just kind of sit there slightly bent and she can't even stand on her own.

     The feet and hands don't actually have any way to move on their own. They're like beads on the end of an s-hook. They have no ball to rotate around, so they wind up sucked up into the socket in the same fixed position all the time. I don't even know why they bothered giving the appearance of wrist joints when apparently the doll's hands aren't meant to do anything other than stick straight out the end of the arms without any bend.

     Kiwi's head is an absolute nightmare. Something I always find myself ranting about is the fact that both Kiwi and Colette had holes in their heads that would not accommodate an s-hook. You would literally have to take the s-hook off the elastic, watch it slip back into the body, and de-string her just so you can re-string her.

     Which is a pain in the ass because Bobobie and Resinsoul string elastic through the hands and feet, rather than going for a more practical s-hook system. You would have to untie or cut the elastic, take off every piece, and completely re-string them.

     No wonder so many people told me they hate taking off their dolls' heads.

     And then, on Kiwi's head, there was no hook-and-magnet system with the headcap. When I got her, her head was just cemented shut with crusty, years-old eye putty. I took off most of the putty and found that, underneath, it was just some dinky pegs that were actually too small for the slots they were supposed to fit into.

      Also, the elf ears. Kiwi's ears stuck straight out. Straight. Out. The shape didn't resemble an orthodox fantasy ear in any way, from the weird droopiness at the end to the random flatness of it all. It was like they had human ears, and then there was some extra flap hanging off, so they smoothed it out a bit. They may as well have just stayed human ears. They were also completely different thicknesses from each other.

     I kind of feel bad to say this, but this is actually one case where they do feel like cheap-ass dolls that are stupidly bad. Their faces are okay at times, but they aren't worth all the trouble those bodies and the head mechanics pose.

     In short: Cute faces, but the rest of it can go to hell.

~~Aronzo~~

No comments:

Post a Comment