Friday, September 20, 2013

Breaking the rules on Day 10

     So I get that Day 10 is supposed to be a picture of one of your dolls with an animal. But where I live lacks animals. I don't have any pets, and even though the apartment complex is pet-friendly, it looks like all the cats that like to greet me on their daily walk (or just get belly rubs) are in hiding. I can't find a single animal that won't scurry away at the sight of a person, or even the sight of a doll.

     I'm going to break the rules of the challenge today, but I plan to stick to the rest of them for the rest of the 30 days. Instead, I'm going to write about my first near-BJD experience.



     Meet Echo.


     Months before I decided I was ready to bite the bullet and shell out the big bucks on a resin BJD, I obsessively agonized over the VolksUSA site and Ebay looking at smaller, more affordable dolls that were "close enough" as a trial run. Being the penny-pincher I am, I went with the (then) 18 dollar EB Beauty doll from Volks because an Obitsu would have costed ten dollars more for the body I liked, and I'd have to buy a head on top of that and make sure it would attach. That last part scared me a bit. 

      Anyway, this little 27cm vinyl doll was really fun. She was a great trial run for basic concepts like changing eyes and wigs and sewing for a doll. I learned basic maintenance for dolls and had the chance to make newb mistakes on her first instead of a much more expensive doll. I wouldn't have taken nearly as many risks if I'd gotten something more expensive first. I thought of her as a mini DD (even though technically she doesn't have the same framework on the inside, she looked very much like one to me). 

     I highly recommend this type of doll to anyone who thinks they want a BJD, but isn't sure they'd have the time or dedication for one. I'd also recommend her (or him, there are male models available for a little more) to the budding hobbyist who hasn't handled many dolls before and wants a trial run for learning customization, or really a very basic experience that would be similar to a BJD to help them feel more comfortable with a doll. The cost is lower, and if you do decide that dolls just aren't your thing then it's easier to put down than something you've put much more money and time into.

     It's funny, but I almost feel like I should've put this in the mini buying guide I wrote a while back. Maybe I'll go back and add onto that eventually. For now that's all, and I'm sorry for straying from the 30 day challenge, but I really seriously couldn't find a single animal who would stick around long enough for a picture. I'll try to be better about that.

~~Aronzo~~

No comments:

Post a Comment