Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What does your family think?

     Day 15 is about your family's reaction to your dolls.

     I've said a bajillion times that my older brother collects BJDs, so for once I'm actually going to leave him out and focus on everyone else.

    My younger brother doesn't really care for them. He'll find any excuse to change the subject to Magic cards or D&D, and then get upset if I want to even mention dolls. He's kind of over-reactively intolerant of them.

     My mom thinks they're creepy and a waste of money. She thinks I'm digging into my savings and spending copious amounts of money on dolls, even after I explain to her about how I save and budget so that I'm not going hungry, and that none of the money from them has come from my "real job". She has "joked" about breaking them or selling them or just tossing them out, but often her "jokes" are more than a little serious.

     My grandma on my mom's side likes them. She thinks they're cute and she likes talking to me about sewing for and painting them. She collected dolls years back, and is very understanding about them.

     I am not on speaking terms with anyone on my dad's side of the family, other than my Uncle John, who is a really fun guy and thinks they're great. He works for Micron and likes anime, and when dolls come up he's mentioned making some to look like anime characters because he thinks it's really neat how far you can customize them.

    And the rest of my family, I don't see very often. If my grandpa (on mom's side again) were still alive, I'd love to show him my dolls and how I work with them. He taught me how to use tools and I got a lot of my interest for tinkering and customizing things from him. He passed away 4 years ago, and I only started collecting last year. I really wish I could have shown him.

~~Aronzo~~

No comments:

Post a Comment