Saturday, September 21, 2013

There's no Day 11?

     On the 30 Day Challenge list I found, there's no Day 11... so I guess today's another free-write day? Let's just pretend that "Collect any other dolls?" is today's topic. 

     Generally, no. I don't collect Monster High, Pullips, Blythe, Barbie, Raggedy Anne, or any other type of doll. I've only really been interested in BJDs, and most recently Dollfie Dreams (the two are similar enough, at least for me). I used to have two of the 1/6 scale Volks dolls, but once I moved on to BJDs that went out the window (one is sold, other one is just sort of lying around at my mom's house). 

     The reason I don't collect very many dolls is because, even among BJDs, many of them just don't appeal to me stylistically. I've seen many wonderful customs of other dolls, but they just aren't what I'd personally go for. There are some gorgeous Monster High repaints, but what would I do with them? I don't like the factory faceups, but that doesn't mean I'd want to redo them myself. And if I did get a custom, she would just be on display. For some people that's fine, but I'm not really one to display things like that. When I'm not taking pictures of my dolls, they're just kind of lying around, often in various stages of wigged/dressed. I don't want/need/have room for a doll I won't customize, and I'm picky about how I want my dolls to look. 

     The reason I prefer BJDs is because there's such a wide variety of combinations to choose from and because of how lifelike they can be. They aren't *quite* as hollow as some of their vinyl counterparts, so there's more room to work with for modding. They come in a very wide range of sizes and shapes from different companies. I guess what I'm trying to say is that they feel very unique. Even if you get a popular sculpt, it can look very different from somebody else's. That level of "one of a kind" is what really draws me in. The idea that the dolls can come pre-packaged with a faceup or you can choose to do it yourself, or that you can just buy parts and hybridize, or the mere fact that you can get the doll you want in various colors is kind of rare from what I've seen of the doll world. For me, BJDs have a special spark to them. 

     I'm really trying not to come off as bashing other dolls, because I do feel like they are beautiful, but what I'm trying to say is that most other dolls just aren't what I'm looking for. There are probably people who don't like BJDs and much prefer other dolls, and that's perfectly fine--in fact, it's great. The world would be really boring if we all liked the same things.

~~Aronzo~~

No comments:

Post a Comment