Saturday, September 14, 2013

Day 4--Your first BJD

     My first BJD. It's kind of funny because when I was looking for a first doll, I was trying to go with the absolute cheapest option--a Bobobie Lucky. I was looking everywhere for one, but being the admittedly stingy person I am I never settled on one because they were all "too expensive" for me. And then I just randomly googled "BJD for sale" and this was literally the first result I got: More expensive doll.


     Fun fact: I bought that doll. I hemmed and hawwed about it for a few days. I thought about the extras. I thought about the money I was saving. I felt really bad about the price. Then I just sucked it up, really reluctantly, and sent the money. Looking back, I'm really glad I didn't settle for a Lucky. I wouldn't have stuck with the hobby at all if I'd gotten one. 

     The seller was really nice, and we talked for a bit until conversation over Deviantart dropped off. And then she found me by chance through a Facebook group! To this day, she's been my best doll friend. It's kind of silly, but I feel like my doll is a symbol of our friendship in a small way. She only has one picture posted of this doll before she came to me, and it's kind of surreal to look at it and see how different she looks now. The owner before her seems to have deleted any photos he'd taken of her (he tends to do that once a doll is sold anyway). I kind of wish I could see all those old photos of her. I've found pictures of Kiwi long before she yellowed, and it was kind of strange but I enjoyed connecting with her previous owners and talking about dolls with them, too. I'm the kind of curious person who just wants to see how different the same exact piece of resin looked in somebody else's hands.

     I struggled with this doll a lot. I got really apathetic with her. I got really frustrated with her. It took a while before I felt like I actually liked her. At first, I just did whatever sad noobish stuff I was destined to do, and felt like she was perfect. And then I realized that she wasn't. I ignored it and bought other dolls to give them attention. I got Oni's body. I modded all the scars and contours onto it until his head showed up. I finished him and bought Kiwi soon after. I adored her little smile and loved her itsy-bitsy self. I modded her a little bit so she'd be easier to pay with. I paid for more dolls. Then while I waited on those, I decided that I wouldn't just give up on my first doll. I wouldn't just keep her out of sheer pity because she'd had two previous owners. I wouldn't just hold onto her for simply being my first BJD, either. I wanted to really go all-out and bring out the best I could in that doll. I tried a few new faceups, changed her name a few times, carved at her face, tried a couple more new faceups, and none of it worked.

     In fact, it wasn't until I'd actually admitted defeat and made her into a Japanese girl (I was very against this for fear of "weaboo" connotations) that I finally hit the nail on the head. After all that fuss of trying to force her into whatever I decided she should be, and all it took was to stop thinking about it and give her a faceup that actually suited her face. She's my favorite doll. She doesn't need a backstory or age or romantic interest--hell, she doesn't even have a name. She is just beautiful with her brown eyes and when she's got her yellow eyes in she has a perfect little look that has just the slightest hint of creepy to it, which is kind of endearing to a horror fan like me. When I think of my dolls, she is always the first one that comes to mind. I would probably honestly go through a crisis if anything happened to her, worse than any of my other dolls.


No comments:

Post a Comment